Powered by WebAds

Thursday, June 15, 2006

"I can't believe this. They forgot my birthday."

I had an interesting converstaion with a colleague yesterday. We were discussing her upcoming 34th birthday and she told me that she doesn't even acknowledge her birthday anymore, she just lets it pass like any other day of the year.

It got me thinking about what do birthdays mean to people.

Tell me your thoughts on birthdays. In your eyes are they happy occasions? nostalgic occasions? depressing?

Shabbat shalom

J.

Quote is from Sixteen Candles (1984)




------------------------------------------------
The possibility that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
– Abraham Lincoln

4 Comments:

At 9:52 PM, June 15, 2006, Blogger Stacey said...

I turn 38 later this summer. I can't believe I am knocking on 40's door. It is depressing that I'll be closer to 50 than 25! But it sure beats the alternative!

 
At 10:52 AM, June 18, 2006, Blogger the sabra said...

shame if one doesnt take advantage of the extra mazal they automatically receive on their birthday.

 
At 11:15 PM, June 19, 2006, Blogger Lady-Light said...

I like the Chabad way of celebrating birthdays; they give tzedakah on that day and resolve to do an extra mitzvah. I also like the Israeli way of celebrating kids' birthdays; they honor the birthday kid with brachot from all his/her friends - each friend comes up and wishes the birthday child a brachah, and shakes their hand. The mom or teacher holds next to the child an outfit that the child wore as a baby, to show how much he/she has grown.
For adults, it's nice to be appreciated by people you love; aside from that, it reminds you how you have made mistakes and blown opportunities. Sabra: I'm still looking for the extra 'mazal'.
The American way is shallow and superficial, with an emphasis on 'getting presents'.
Hope you didn't mind my 'poskening' on birthdays.

 
At 10:05 AM, June 22, 2006, Blogger Jim said...

I like the sound of the Chabad way, I myself don't really pay much attention, some of my kids call different days and say hi, but mine is Halloween, so I give everyone who comes to the door a present, I like that and always look forward to that. Age tho, I ignore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats