Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

"Rabbi, we've been waiting for the Messiah all our lives. Wouldn't now be a good time for him to come?"


Reading Jeru Guru's post today Tomorrow Never Knows got me thinking about the future too, but in a slightly different way.

Judaism and many other religions believe that there will eventually be a savior who comes to bring peace and justice in the world. Since I myself am a Jew, I will only speak about what Judaism believes, not other religions (I hope all non-Jews can forgive me for that.)

WE believe that at a certain time in the future, Massiach Ben David will arrive here and help bring the whole world into believing that Hashem is truly One. We don't know when that time will be, maybe in 100 years, 10 years, 1 year, 7 months, April or even Tomorrow, but we believe that it will happen someday.

The question I then ask you is what will change in our lives after that happens? Once Massiach is here, will we no longer work? Will we be bringing Korbanot (sacrifices) again in the Beit Hamikdash? Will the exploration of space be halted? Will we no longer have a need for many material things like cars, Jewelry, or money even?

If you believe that none of these things will change, then what difference will it make to our world when Massiach comes?

Will we stop watching sporting events? Will we just all sit and constantly learn Torah all day?

My beliefs fall somewhere between these two extremes.

Once Massiach comes, the world HAS to become different otherwise there would be no meaning to his coming.

On the other hand, with all the technological advances in the last 200 plus years, how can we just stop using technology?

What are some of your opinions?

J.


------------------------------------------------
The possibility that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
– Abraham Lincoln

4 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, January 26, 2006, Blogger The Cahans in Israel said...

quote: fiddler on the roof?

 
At 5:15 PM, January 26, 2006, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

In the Beit HaMikdash, the mizbe'ach will be one huge microwave.

Although, when I think about how much our lives have changed in the past 30 years, its mind-bending.

A few years back, my wife and I transported her old record collection to our home. My daughter (probably 7 at the time) curiously picked up a record and asked us what it was. My wife explained that it had music encoded on in in its grooves, and all of a sudden my daughter had a flash of insight. Of course! I know what it is! You put it on a round table that spins around, and a bird puts its beak on it, and then you hear music! I saw it on the Flintstones!

There. Don't you feel prehistoric now?

 
At 6:20 PM, January 26, 2006, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I have often asked the same questions you pose, but have yet to come up with satisfactory answers.

 
At 11:21 PM, January 29, 2006, Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

I can but speculate on what will happen when the Meshiach comes. I myself, not being a religious Jew, sometimes have my doubts as to the aspect of the coming of the Moshiach ben David in general but I'm prone to religous practice and if I had to choose I'd guess he will come some time.

I think that when he comes, every single Jew will get his/her wish carried out to some extent. Of course I hope Jewish Meretz/Yachad or Hadash voters won't get their wishes fullfilled but even they deserve some kind of "reward"(what for is a differet question).

Anyhow, if I had to pick from the things I wish our world and the state of Israel, I'd wish for true and lasting peace here(just how redundant does that sound!?), death to all terrorists(is that allowed), the fullfilment of my dreams: to finally get a position in the IDF and to stay in Israel forever, and to be able to support my family(though it's just me and my lovely wife for now).

Very nice blog, Eitan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats