Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

"You do too much - college, a job, all this time with me... You're not Superman, you know."


Here's a "light" post

Yesterday, I was home sick from work with a stomach virus and decided that it was the perfect day to catch up on some movie watching.

In anticipation of this summer's expected blockbuster, Superman Returns, I watched the original Superman (1978) and then its sequel, Superman II (1980). I hadn't seen either of them in over a decade and watching them brought up so many memories of my childhood and adolescence.

I recall as a child after seeing Superman II in the theater that I had trouble sleeping that night because of the battle between Superman and his 3 nemesis' over the skies of New York...I mean Metropolis. I also recall being slightly embarrased when I saw young Kal-El exit the ship that brought him to Earth, buck naked, like the day he was born.

My mother told me years later that she lost all respect for Superman once he slept with Lois Lane. I didn't lose respect for Superman, just Christopher Reeve. C'mon Margot Kidder? (ya gotta be kidding).

I also recall the awe I felt watching those movies years later in my teens and loving the fight between Supes and his rivals. Never thought III or IV were any good, but the Superman franchise was definately revived by Lois and Clark and Smallville. And soon Brian Singer and "Superman Returns" will hopefully explain whats been going on in the "real" world.

Superman has always been the "original" superhero for me. He was my first real exposure to super-humans, but until I saw Kill Bill 2 last year, I never thought the most obvious thing about him.

No not the fact that Lois and everyone else couldn't see what difference glasses make to a person, but actually the fact that Superman is one of the few Superheroes whose secret identity is a human, not the other way around. Clark Kent is his secret identity, not Batman to Bruce Wayne or Spiderman to Peter Parker (I know Spidey and Supes don't live in the same multi-universe, so don't get me started on that....)

Amazing that we need Quentin to tell us that fact.

Who was UR favorite superhero from the movies?

You now know who mine was (*lets see what happens with it in July....)

J.

Today's quote is from Spider-man (2002)

------------------------------------------------
The possibility that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just.
– Abraham Lincoln

13 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, May 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a kid I lived on the coast of Florida and go figure I really got into Aquaman- they never made a movie about him, or my other favorite superhero, The Green Lantern either. But then again, I was weird.

 
At 9:15 AM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Jerusalemcop said...

Always thought that aquaman was a bit useless, but Hal Jordan, GL was the man. I hope with the way they special effects have been developing over the years, they will be able to bring him to the screen.

"In the blackest day, In darkest night..."

great message of hope, right Amishav?

J.

 
At 12:54 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger rockofgalilee said...

I seem to remember seeing Superman II at a drive-in. Drive ins were awesome.

 
At 1:03 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Jerusalemcop said...

they had a drive-in in detroit? thought they only had drive-by's :)

I've never been to a drive-in in my life. I would probably get annoyed at the couple in the next car making too much noise making out. Probably not worth it ;)

J.

 
At 5:02 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Elie said...

In terms of the movies, I have to admit Superman II was the best. But in terms of the comics themselves, I was always a Marvel fan through and through, with Fantastic Four my favorite.

 
At 8:14 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Jerusalemcop said...

Hi Elie, thanks for stopping by. I'm a DC man myself, but superheroes are superheroes. I even wasted my time seeing the Fantastic 4 movie, what a lemon!

The only good part about it was Michael Chiklis as the Thing.

II was the best...so far, hopefully Returns will eclipse it as being the best.

We, the fans are due a good superhero movie, been two years since Spiderman 2 came out.

J.

 
At 9:24 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Stacey said...

I always sort of liked Wonder Woman and Isis (remember Shazam and Oh Mighty Isis-Isis-Isis?) because they had long black hair like me.

Hope your stomach is feeling better. :)

 
At 4:14 AM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I always liked Wolverine, the Hulk and Colossus, among others.

 
At 7:52 AM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Jerusalemcop said...

Stacey,

why is it that MOST women like Wonder woman best?

there ARE other positive female superheroes like batgirl, supergirl, power girl, storm, jean grey.

there are plenty of them out there.

Jack: I see you are a Marvel man like Elie. I never liked X-men until I saw the first movie, I started getting hooked after that.

As a kid, I remember there was a cartoon that switched off every time between Iron Man, Captain America and The Hulk. Fond memories. Plus Lou Ferrigno as the Hulk was always fun to watch especially in reruns because as an adult you saw how crazy these shows were. I "love" watching CHIPs too because it's so funny.

shabbat shalom

J.

 
At 11:54 PM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Stacey said...

Really? I've never heard of half of those you mentioned!

Oh and P.S. -- I finally blogrolled you.

Have a great Shabbos.

 
At 12:00 AM, May 21, 2006, Blogger Jerusalemcop said...

thanks for blogrolling me (guess now I have to make sure to post :) )

learn something new each day.

Thanks I did, hope you did too.

J.

 
At 4:17 PM, May 21, 2006, Blogger tafka PP said...

I was always a Superman fan above and beyond any of the women offered. Especially the useless Supergirl.

 
At 4:34 PM, May 21, 2006, Blogger Jerusalemcop said...

well parrot, superman does rock, he is after all a super man. Plus he was one of the original superheroes.

thanks for stopping by.

J.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats