Powered by WebAds

Thursday, August 31, 2006

"What is this, some sort of dork outreach program?"

Growing up in the mid-west, I was very active in NCSY and I recall on numerous occasions that people would ask me: "Why are you so involved in an organization that is mainly for non-religious youth who want to become more religious and not for religious FFB (Frum From Birth)". I always countered that in order for them to see how "normal" it is to be religious, they should be able to interact with FFB's also.

The truth is, I was not completely correct back then and even til today, I had trouble admitted to myself the truth.

I was emailed this video clip of a speech given at a dinner in NYC last week and the speaker really put into words what I've always known deep in my heart.

Watch this video: (it's close to 10 minutes long, but really worth watching)

"


scroll down after you watch the video clip

+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+

Now that you have watched the video, I can explain. I always (and still do) envy those kids, I wished that my quest for bettering my level of observance was like theirs. There are many times where I feel that I'm "just going thru the motions" and not completely using my heart as I should, by finding ways to better myself and my committment to Judaism.

Hopefully this will help serve as an additional wake-up call for many of us who strive for more.

J.







Quote from She's All That (1999)

------------------------------------------------
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
deserve neither liberty or security"

– Benjamin Franklin

5 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, September 01, 2006, Blogger Stacey said...

Interesting video. I am not frum and do not strive to be (I kind of feel guilty about that). I mean, I love studying with my rabbi and learning our history, but I am really comfortable and content at my present observance level.

I am so grateful that our beautiful religion has a broad spectrum of observance levels, so that we can all find what fits best.

 
At 8:32 PM, September 03, 2006, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

I enjoyed the video.

 
At 3:47 PM, September 05, 2006, Blogger tafka PP said...

Can't access the video from this stupid computer. But will try to watch it later, am very curious after what you said...

 
At 4:48 PM, September 07, 2006, Blogger tafka PP said...

Ok finally managed to see it. Very funny.

On the one hand you can agree with the speaker, and envy the BT folks. But on the other hand you can also look at it that people get passionate about all sorts of things as they evolve, and it follows that they lose passion for other things. Becoming frum is just one thing that can happen to you: Rejecting a religious upbringing is another. For those stuck somewhere in between, well it is up to them to decide what they would truly prefer...

 
At 10:19 PM, September 11, 2006, Blogger goyisherebbe said...

As a veteran BT (36 years) who has infiltrated into the Israeli dati-leumi world, living in a yishuv and learning with the boys in a hesder yeshiva, I miss the exposure to that freshness. Out in the boonies we don't get those Shabbos guests very often and more's the pity. Our kids want our guests to be "normal Israelis" and not "crazy Americans". It's important for Israelis to be sensitive to the vast spiritual wasteland in which most American Jews live. But we all need to work on our avodat Hashem and keep it on the conscious level as much as possible. Open up your Mesilat Yesharim (or whatever mussar or chasidus of your choice) regularly. And grab those weirdo Shabbos guests if you can.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats